Sunday, July 11, 2010

Let the Adventure Continue

I began the process of becoming Peace Corps volunteer on June 3, 2009. This was the one-year anniversary of my grandmother’s death. Her influence and presence in my life has played, and continues to play, a pivotal role in who I am and who I strive to be. I decided on June 3, 2009, that every year on the anniversary of her death, I would do something to celebrate her life. It is important that her selflessness, ceaseless giving, and peace-spreading nature be reincarnated in the hands of those who were fortunate enough to have borne witness to her unparalleled embodiment of that which she valued most.

On June 3, 2010, I notified the Peace Corps of my formal acceptance of the invitation to serve as a Community Health Advisor in Benin, West Africa, departing July 14. It is a French-speaking country, which is exciting because I’ve always wanted to be, at least, bilingual. In conversation, the usual question to follow is: “Do you speak French?” Answer: While the College Board seems to find my French sufficient, I have no doubt that I will be struggling to find the words for marketplace items and to speak in any tense but the present.

There will be 9 weeks of Pre-service Training where we will live with host families and attend classes for 8-10 hours a day. Classes will include intensive language instruction in addition to technical training in our area of specialty. Our host families serve as the source for our cultural education by providing information about Beninese culture and feedback regarding our performance within that culture. After the 9 weeks, we are given our community assignment and move to our two-year service site.

I’m excited to see the world from a new perspective and learn from all of the wonderful, interesting people I am sure to meet. While concern has been expressed in regards to safety, communication, the prevalence of snakes and my ability to resist the temptation to adopt one as a pet, I am confident in the Peace Corps ability, and my own, to ensure that I remain healthy, educated and free of snake bites.

I appreciate all the support that my friends, family, and strangers on airplanes have given me. I love you all. Peace Corps is another chapter in the big adventure that is life. So let the adventure continue.

P.S. I do not know how readily available the internet will be once I am in Benin, so these posts, and communication with me in general, are likely to be irregular and infrequent.

9 comments:

  1. hey erin!
    thanks for the email...i will be following closely! i'm still in uganda and will be till the 24th of July so i unfortunately won't be able to talk to you, but you should get skype if you can, so the possibility is there for the future...

    all the best, safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin!
    Great blog site--very exciting! I will be checking in regularly to read any news you may post (no matter how irregularly you may post it)!!
    Bon voyage! Bon Chance! Je t'aime!
    Auntie T.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My dear,
    I hope you all the best in this new adventure. I'll follow your blog to read and comment you. And I hope to keep in touch with you on Skype, too.

    Hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erin,
    good luck for your experiece.
    I will follow your blog!

    Kisses from Italy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Erin
    I am so touched by your inspiration for joining the Peace Corp. Gramma would be so overjoyed and supportive of your willingness to do for others.
    I will follow your blog and pray for all the good that that you give to others in need.
    How lucky they are to meet you and how lucky are you to meet them.

    All my Love,

    Uncle Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin.
    Love your first posts, keep them coming as we can all live vicariously through your adventure.
    Ned

    ReplyDelete
  7. Erin,
    Your Aunt Mary and I just caught up on your blog, thanks for doing it and letting us see what you are doing. I can only marvel at your attitude and what you are doing, it seems like you are that 1 in 10,000 that makes the world a little better. Your characterization of Gramma was right on, a most special Lady, and you have the kindness of her soul. We are all very, very proud. Love ya!!
    U bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great Blog Erin!! So excited and happy for you! Enjoy every moment of the journey. Miss you
    ~~ Billy & Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin,

    Sorry it took so long for me to connect with you (Auntie T helped me). Hopefully I'll be able to repeat this effort successfully later.

    Love your blog!
    Pop-Pop

    ReplyDelete